2018-01-17

I babble in an unknown tongue

I was turning over certain rowing-related matters in my mind today, and chanced upon a memory:
“What are your fees?" inquired Guyal cautiously. 
"I respond to three questions," stated the augur. "For twenty terces I phrase the answer in clear and actionable language; for ten I use the language of cant, which occasionally admits of ambiguity; for five, I speak a parable which you must interpret as you will; and for one terce, I babble in an unknown tongue.”
Vance, of course. I discover that I've had occasion to use this before; once every five years is not unreasonable. It may be convenient to write it here, not connected to other blog-related matters, so I have.

Refs


* There's no light the foolish can see better by.
A Case for Repealing All Antitrust Legislation - CH of course, but touches on the way conventional economics is equilibrium
* From Ronald Coase‘s 1972 article “Industrial Organization: A Proposal for Research”]
The variability diet - VV

9 comments:

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

I've often wondered what the heck you were talking about.

Steve Bloom said...

Those Oakland boys are smart. Learn to listen to them.

John Bowles said...

I have silkscreened t-shirts for sale reading "DOWN WITH CAPITALISM" for $19.99 each.

dave said...

Star King is perfect.

THE CLIMATE WARS said...

For $9.99 each you can get DOWN WITH THE ADEQUATE FISH GOD YOB.

Hank Roberts said...

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26165204_1831207240285637_3242501445329492002_n.jpg?oh=34241dbdc8602d80fb6080c7aa1b73d4&oe=5AEA9BB2

William M. Connolley said...

Obscure, but Google gets me the Eyes of the Overworld. Good, but not a favourite, though the lead amulets that are not obvious inefficacious is a nice piece of language.

William M. Connolley said...

[See "Demon Prince: The Dissonant Worlds of Jack Vance".]

angech said...

The demon princes are a fantastic 5 set. I read Star King when I was about 15, one other from a second hand bookshop years later and got the whole set on the internet Amazon maybe 8 years ago.
Thank you for your quote and interest.
Amazing mind and amazing statuesque ending.
There is hope for you yet.