2019-10-16

A survey of blog audiences

Following in the footsteps of thousands, I too am posting the below: 
We need your help! Share your views on climate change with us. 
Please share your views on climate change and reading blogs by filling out this survey. The data will be used for getting to know the readers of climate change blogs. 
What’s in it for you? 
  • You have a chance on winning a $20 gift card of Amazon; 
  • You will get a sneak preview of the preliminary results; 
  • You will contribute to research on climate change blogs. 
Participation is anonymous, and your answers will be handled confidentially. The data is only used for research purposes. 
Your input is highly valued! Please fill out the survey by following this link.
There you go, that's their bit. As you'd hope, I shall snark a bit: they actually provided the post text in a Word doc, how charmingly naive. They seem nice though. FWIW, I didn't fill out the survey, because I got stuck on one of the questions and the survey very irritatingly refused to let me not answer the question. A mistake on their part I think. The question (as I said at Sou's place) I didn't like was "Social Justice (correcting injustice, care for the weak)". I'm all in favour of correcting injustice, and caring for the weak. But I'm not in favour of Social Justice because as a good Hayekian I think it is at best meaningless and at worst pernicious nonsense. And i the context of the Green New Deal I'm not going anywhere near SJ.

7 comments:

Layzej said...

Doesn't "social justice" just mean equal opportunity for all? Seems to be the American dream, though I understand it has become something of a trigger phrase.

"I think it is at best meaningless..."

They defined it for you: "correcting injustice, care for the weak"

"and at worst pernicious nonsense"

How so?

William M. Connolley said...

> Doesn't "social justice" just mean equal opportunity for all... They defined it for you

Errm well make up your mind: does it mean what they defined it as, or as equal-opp-for-all? You begin to see the problem I hope. This seems useful (I haven't read it all).

What is the difference betwwen "justice" and "social justice"?

Layzej said...

Ok. Fair enough.

Anonymous said...

The best blog surveys begin by asking any millipedes in the audience to raise their hands.

wereatheist said...

That's why they offer a prize for partaking.
I guess they will only count the datasets with an valid email address.

Russell said...

For the record , I didn't like the tendentious PC language either.

Anonymous said...

"What is the difference betwwen "justice" and "social justice"?"

At a minimum, it distinguishes from criminal or retributive justice.